Saturday 7 December 2013

The Calf

Had to a day-old calf in the byre last night as the weather was bitter cold and snowy. The mother cow refused point blank to go in so I left the door ajar so as she could see the calf and retired for the night. 

This morning, still dark, dogs barking had me looking out of the kitchen window. There was the cow in the back garden looking back at me. She had jumped two fences to get where she was. She followed me back to the byre, I freed the calf from its snug pen, the cow mooed, the calf mooed and promptly ran out of the door to join its mother.

Hard to believe. But true.

2 comments:

Trina St Michael said...

Greetings from Ottawa, Ontario , Canada.
I followed a picture of a highland cow posted on pinterest and it brought me to your site/blog. I enjoyed reading all of your blog posts.
I love cows and especially the highland cows because they have such a cute face. I have yet to meet a highland cow in person though.
I would think that the highland cow would do well in Canada with our harsh winters but summers are very hot and with all if their hair would perhaps have a hard time. What is your take on this?
Trina St Michael

Joe said...

Hi Trina,

Greeting to you from the Isle of Skye, Scotland. Highland Cattle in fact have been in Canada for quite a while. Please have a look at:

http://www.chcs.ca/eindex.htm

Thanks for the feedback.